the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Holiday crunch complete

Is everyone out there now breathing a huge collective sigh? :-) mission accomplished. gifts were complete. there were indeed happy feet all around on Christmas morning.
My daughter finally got her socks (she'd been patient for a year while other projects pushed these aside) and K got his socks out of Sock Hop colorway My Boyfriend's Back.
So - like a good little sock-obsessed-knitter that I am, what do you think I did the moment I finished all of these gifts on Christmas eve? why, of course, I cast on for another pair of socks. This time they're for me.
Featured here in all their loveliness are my Monkey Socks. Doesn't Cookie write a fabulous pattern! They are practically flying off my needles. I've turned the heels on both, and hope to be wearing them by tomorrow.

Here's a closeup photo that shows the color more accurately. It's a deep purple and crimson, with a bit of subtle shading that blends them together. I know that it's hard to tell the difference between a lot of sock yarn colors when you're looking through a computer monitor, but this color really is different from American Pie (promise).
Yarn: Sock Hop Yarn in colorway Crazy Love
pattern : Monkey
needles: size 1

And "what's that in the photo under the socks?" you ask. Why yes, it snowed. And even better yet, it's remained cold. All the lovely glittering essence of winter is staying (at least for a little while) It is so pretty. Want a peek at the view that greets us in the morning? Of course you do.


Even the goats are loving it. Goats are such interesting creatures - they don't like the rain at all (which can be a dilemma if you live in Washington State) but they seem to love to prance about in the snow. I wonder if they are pretending to be in the Alps?

Thanks to the few folks who tagged me to play the 'six weird things' meme..... but alas, I am going to decline. I pondered and searched for a list of six weird things that I wanted to publish in blogland, and found myself feeling like the oddball at a highschool dance. (not a pretty picture) Finally arriving at the conclusion that ages 11-16 were enough torture for anyone to have survived, I decided to not put myself through any more of that (grin). After all, this is my little corner of the world... why repeat history! indeed not.

With only one day left in 2006, some of us are winding up all the projects that we can. Me? Since my deadlines were all about Christmas, and I finished all of those (except for the smooshy catbed which we are all politely ignoring) I've been starting new things. Want to take a guess as to what this is? No.. it's not a messy ball that the cats have created. Shall I tell you? Errr, ummm.. I think that I will keep you dangling for awhile (or at least until I've done a bit more - this is only about 40 rows) The hint is that the yarn was a gift from my friend Lisa. Nice eh! lucky me!

So let's recap - I've got another pair of socks almost done, have begun the mystery project above, and my brain is whirling about, looking for a marvelous sweater to begin. Cables anyone?

18 Comments:

At December 30, 2006 at 1:05 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Love the socks -- gifts and Monkey. Monkey really does show off the handspun, doesn't it?

I'll heave my sigh tomorrow. Tonight, 50 for soup and celebration. Gotta go chop some stuff. Happy New Year!

 
At December 30, 2006 at 3:21 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Cables sound lovely.

 
At December 30, 2006 at 3:28 PM, Blogger Krista McCurdy said...

Ooh, love, love that colourway crazy love. Can I spin some of that in the next batch? Hope you had a great christmas! I brought my wheel over to my boyfriend's house and spun all Christmas Day.

 
At December 30, 2006 at 3:58 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Saw a comment you left on the Simply Socks blog and thought I would stop in to say hello! Love the socks! I'm going to have to try the Monkey pattern - it looks so cool!

 
At December 30, 2006 at 5:01 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

The snow pictures make me envious. :-)Very pretty! Like your goats, our pomeranian loves the cold, frosty or snowy days.

Happy New Year!

 
At December 30, 2006 at 5:56 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Oh darn, and here I was looking forward to finding out about the weirder side of Lady Teyani...
Love your version of Monkey! They do seem to fly, don't they (brings to mind the Wizard of Oz...)

 
At December 30, 2006 at 7:46 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

Those are some very pretty monkeys. Happy New Year!

 
At December 30, 2006 at 10:06 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, those socks you're knitting for yourself are lovely!! You will have some happy feet. :)

Happy New Year!

 
At December 31, 2006 at 4:48 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

I want to knit a cabled cardigan for myself. Any pattern suggestions?

 
At December 31, 2006 at 5:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wouldn't mind a little snow here, but all we're in for is rain. Lovely socks, lovely goats, and have a lovely New Year!

 
At December 31, 2006 at 7:13 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Snow. Sigh.
Finished socks. Sigh.
Colour me envious!
And what is the first thing that you are going to do when you put on your Crazy Monkey Love socks? They are too lovely for wards! In a monkeyish sort of way.

 
At January 1, 2007 at 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got all your Christmas knitting done. I was happy to finish on time as well. Love the new socks!

 
At January 1, 2007 at 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything that looks like that is usually a lacy shawl. It looks like a scribble.

The socks are lovely. I like the way the colors run together so well. And your view?? **siiiigh** Exquisite. You are lucky.

 
At January 2, 2007 at 7:03 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

such a pretty white scene - no snow yet around here, but I enjoy it more looking at it in other people's yards!

Great socks - such pretty pinks and purples!

 
At January 3, 2007 at 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I'm envious! Your monkey socks and your SNOW. It hasn't snowed here at all yet, which is unheard of in Indiana.

 
At January 3, 2007 at 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monkey socks are CUTE. Yea for you on finishing your Christmas knits! I am still working on the only one I had. Happy New Year!

 
At January 4, 2007 at 4:25 PM, Blogger Lark said...

The view is exquisite!! The goats do look happy. And mea culpa for the wierd things meme. Nevermore!

 
At January 5, 2007 at 5:03 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

I can't believe that you guys had snow and we didn't! I hope you had a lovely new year, Teyani.

Your socks, as usual, are looking gorgeous. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home