the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Friday, April 7, 2006

Completions

It's a fine day at Crown Mountain Farms ! This fiberwizard is a happy camper !
Magic sweater is complete.

There is something very sweet about a project that you take from inspiration to completion... something vibrant and alive.
I went from this:








to this:








to this:








and then to this:












and then this in the magic sweater stage:









to this in it's completion: here is the front and the back:










For those of you who are just checking in, this is handspun from a bombyx/merino 50-50 blend, Chasing Rainbows Dyeworks colorway Peacock Plume. I can honestly say that I am loving this fiber. I bought 14 (2 ounce) skeins of this - and spun it all - resulting in about 1400 yards of fiberly goodness. If you are a spinner - don't hesitate.. do not pass go, go directly to ordering some of this fiberly soul food :-)
It is soft, drapes perfectly, feels like heaven as I wear it.... what could be better ? ah yes.. the purrfect pattern :-)
I found this pattern, Cinixia, on Knitty dot com - and it worked exactly as I hoped. The yarn travels gently across the back, in one continuous motion.. and flows effortlessly around the yoke - color blending into color - no matching of stripes (since it is all one piece). Absolutely grand.
And the finishing? well, it was 10 stitches under each arm.
Any hesitation about the pattern?.. well, I might consider adding about 1-2 inches on the length of the body of the sweater (since my childbirth years seem to somehow have added a tiny bit to my midriff) (she giggles) but I am darned proud of those love handles.. came by them honestly.. and have two lovely daughters to show for it !..oh.. I digress... but yes, if you are considering this pattern, check the measurement from your waist to your armpit and decide from there.. you might wish to add an inch or so.
Overall - I'd say I'm content.
This was a dream sweater of mine, and now it's complete. The yarn danced its way from my wheel to the needles and now into my heart.

11 Comments:

At April 8, 2006 at 3:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It looks like Heaven, Peacock Heaven! What a beautiful sweater! The yarn and the pattern are perfect for each other.

 
At April 8, 2006 at 5:28 AM, Blogger CelticCastOn said...

This is one fantastic piece! I'm just getting into spinning so hopefully some day soon I'll beable to go from fiber to sweater!
It really is gorgeous!

 
At April 8, 2006 at 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teyani, your dream sweater is so beautiful. I just love it! I can't imagine how wonderful it must be to knit a sweater with yarn you've spun yourself! That has to make it twice as wonderful!

How are the "babies"? Any more new ones?

And btw, if I didn't mention it to you yet my url for my website has changed, so if you use bloglines to track it that needs to change, thanks.

 
At April 8, 2006 at 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teyani, you fashion statement you! That jacket looks absolutely amazing! Truly!

I long for the day my spinning is consistent enough to use in something so beautiful! You did a fabulous job! Wear it with pride!

 
At April 8, 2006 at 9:42 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, it's so beautiful!!! I bet it feels like a dream to wear. And the deep satisfaction of having done it yourself from the very essence of yarn - wow!

 
At April 8, 2006 at 1:34 PM, Blogger Karen said...

It came out so beautiful! It must be so satisfying to have made that beautiful sweater from yarn you also made. Wow. I cannot wait until I am good enough to do that.
Again, it is gorgeous Teyani!

 
At April 8, 2006 at 5:02 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

It's gorgeous, Teyani and looks fabulous on you. I'm sure you've made the prettiest Cinixia on the net. :)

 
At April 9, 2006 at 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is marvelous! The colors are peerfect and you made it From Scratch which only adds to the marvelous factor. I love it - it's the best Cinixia I've seen!

 
At April 10, 2006 at 5:24 AM, Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Teyani, thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know you had finished a Cinxia as well. Yours is absolutely gorgeous!!! And the yarn....to die for!

Have you worn yours much? A couple of us who have knit it have noticed that it slides a bit off the shoulder and down the arm. It drove me to distraction, so I now pin mine with a simple bar pin right where the collar folds. It feels much better now, but not the style I was looking for when I made it. Overall, I still love it, I just wish I knew what about the design makes it slide like it does. I've considered remaking it to solve the problem, but I don't know what causes it. Still-I wear it a lot! I know people are tired of seeing it, but I get compliments every time I wear it. I'm sure you do as well--incredibly beautiful. Well done!!!

 
At April 10, 2006 at 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally lovely, Teyani! You should be totally proud of yourself, you fabulous wench.

Lissa

 
At April 10, 2006 at 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just fabulous! To be able to go from bags of fiber to a gorgeous sweater is such an accomplishment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home