the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Friday, January 5, 2007

January 007 Snap a dozen Days

I have just joined Stephanie and Margene's newest brainstorm 007 Snap a Dozen Days. What a marvelous idea they have. Each of us shoots a photo , that represents that month, and then writes about what it means to them. Please join me now for:

January in the Pacific Northwest

The bleak mid-winter has settled over the Pacific Northwest – rather like a blanket of wet that shrouds the normally rich green foliage of the trees. We have been stripped bare of all we normally hide behind –left to show our bones to the sky.

The trees; maples, alders and birch, that normally hold their canopies of leaves enfolding each other’s limbs, are now standing solitary against the backdrop of endless grey. The wind blows through them, rain pummels their branches and trunks – leaving nothing untouched by the wet.

I often feel like this in winter – devoid of the rich greenery that hides my limbs. I am exposed, chilled by the soggy damp of the rain – yet beautiful in all my solitude. We stand alone mid-winter, yet surrounded by the beautiful solitude of others like us. Each vulnerable and singular in the cold. Winter is the time of setting our roots deep, and dreaming of spring.

Is this snow, you wonder as you drive briskly past in your car? No, indeed not. The subtle life that wraps each tree is delicate moss lichen, epiphytes to be exact; a non-harmful plant that is supported by the host tree, exposed to our view during the winter.

Beautiful unto itself, and normally hidden from view, it creates an eerie green light in the defoliated forest.

Life under life – this is winter in the northwest. Winter exposes us – strips us bare of our outer trappings, and exposes beauty that is normally hidden.

13 Comments:

At January 6, 2007 at 3:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhhhh...beautiful winter photographs, Teyani. Reading your post as the rain falls on the roof this morning makes me feel like I'm not on "my" side of the country, but yours!

 
At January 6, 2007 at 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post is a much better way of looking at winter. I usually think of it as a long, dreary season, but after reading what you wrote, it shines a whole new light on a season I usually dislike. Thank you.

 
At January 6, 2007 at 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the bleak mid-winter (love that song)!

You see beauty in everything Teyani (especially in each of us, which we sooo appreciate)! Thanks for bringing the beauty of winter to our attention with such eloquence!

 
At January 6, 2007 at 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too love the bleak midwinter, but only when there is fresh snow and bright sun. I guess that's not exactly what you were talking about, though :-)

 
At January 7, 2007 at 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bee-utiful! Aesthetically, I LOVE winter. Not so much when I think about shoveling snow and walking on ice and such. But your post reminded me why I do indeed like winter.

 
At January 7, 2007 at 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teyani, what beautiful thoughts. That's what winter should look like.

 
At January 7, 2007 at 3:45 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

That was lovely, Teyani. You have a nice voice, tres thoughtful. Thanks for that small escape. I will be looking forward to your monthly posts.

 
At January 7, 2007 at 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We aren't having much of winter here yet but it was nice to read your post about it. The pictures are beautiful!

 
At January 8, 2007 at 8:08 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Very pretty. I always love seeing landscapes change when the leaves go away. It almost reveals another layer underneath that you never get to see.

 
At January 8, 2007 at 4:11 PM, Blogger Karen said...

What a lovely post Teyani. I wouldn't mind winter so much if it only last a month or two. We haven't had any of the white stuff here yet this year I'm happy to say. I'm afraid to type the actual word and jinx it.

 
At January 9, 2007 at 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful writing, very evocative. I feel as if I'm there.

 
At January 9, 2007 at 9:19 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Masterful work capturing the stark, yet lush winter beauty of the PacNW. Very lyrical.

 
At January 10, 2007 at 11:16 AM, Blogger Chris said...

What a lovely post! You've really captured the essence of the winter self.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home