the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Sunday, November 27, 2005

In Progress


It was a busy and wonderous weekend - family came from all over - we ate and ate.. and in between times I spun and knit !
Many things are "in the works" in our house!
First up : a new pencil roving sweater in colorway Mountain Sunrise. I think that I shall use these buttons (of course by my friend Rama).. and I'm still undecided about whether to add a collar...
This was a fast knit, as it is made from unspun pencil roving... yummy and very very warm!


And on the spinning front, I began the "dream sweater" - hurrah! Here's what started this weekend... I ended up spinning about 8 ounces - a great beginning, and it makes me feel as though I might acutally be able to begin knitting it within the for-see-able future :) I'm a happy camper.


And not to be detered from my long term goals (knitting socks once again!) - I decided to begin knitting a sample sock for some of the fabulous new yarn we have added to our website - it is hand dyed by a friend of ours, Lisa Milliman, owner of Dicentra Designs... here is my humble beginning.. It was quite the feat to go from knitting the pencil roving sweater on size 15 needles to these fabuloso socks on size 0 needles.. perhaps a bit of culture shock for my fingers - yet somehow I kept up.. maybe it was all the spinning in between! :)

All in all - I ended up feeling relaxed and fulfilled after our weekend of entertaining - and managed to get in a bunch of fiber art to boot! May all of you enjoy such fabulous company as I have had!

9 Comments:

At November 28, 2005 at 7:12 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Wow! That's a really pretty sweater! Even on 15's you must be a fast knitter. It turned out gorgeous.

Your yarn is looking fabulous,too. I'm glad you had such a nice weekend.

 
At November 28, 2005 at 8:33 AM, Blogger Teyani said...

I must confess that I did NOT knit this entire sweater while company was here - BUT.... I did indeed knit it last weekend :-) !!! this weekend was the stitiching it together - and finishing the edges. My secret?... easy pattern - big yarn! Hah!

 
At December 1, 2005 at 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the colors on the sweater. How does the pencil roving hold up under wear? Does it pill much?

Your spun yarn has such a lovely sheen. Are you plying it?

 
At December 2, 2005 at 7:49 AM, Blogger Teyani said...

Yes, I am going to ply the yarn - the wonderful sheen is from the 50% bombyx silk -
the pencil roving is great fun to knit with, and hardly pills up at all!

 
At December 2, 2005 at 10:28 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

The colors of your roving are SO beautiful. I can't wait to see what the yarn looks like knitted up.

 
At December 6, 2005 at 10:03 AM, Blogger yarnahoy said...

what beautiful roving for the dream sweater! and what a purchase from chasing rainbows! such pretty colors. And you have such a great hand at photography. What kind of camera do you use (if you dont mind my asking)? i've been trying to upgrade from my old digital.

 
At December 7, 2005 at 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Teyani,

Thanks for the tip on the book (Knitter's Review forum). I will definitely try to find it!

Love your roving colors; I've never tried knitting with pencil roving before. The shine is incredible.

- MJ

 
At December 7, 2005 at 9:08 PM, Blogger Teyani said...

thanks for all the comments -
yarn-a-hoy:
I use a 35mm camera, Nikkon to take my photos. Its a handy ol' girl. :-)

MJ:
The fiber that you see that has the amazing shine is actually 50/50 blend of bombyx silk and merino wool. The silk gives that great shine. Fun to knit with, for sure!
I hope to have some spun and plyed soon to begin knitting!

 
At December 12, 2005 at 6:50 AM, Blogger LesleyKnits said...

Teyani,

I LOVE the sweater! Gorgeous colors and a great pattern too!

Lesley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home