the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, September 30, 2006

It was a grand weekend at OFFF

Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival was a fabulous weekend. If you have never been....... well, all I can say is "get yourself there!"
We left on thursday Sept 21 and returned home on sunday Sept 24th. So much occured during these few days... I will give you a pictoral view of some of it.
We arrived late on thursday, after a typical drive down.
Traffic was nasty thru Portland, but never fear, the sock knitting kept me very happy.. (thanks to K for driving (again)) I was wearing my lovely socks made from Dicentra designs yarn, and was knitting a new sock for Socktoberfest - made from Respect ! (naturally)
We arrived at our campsite and hung out - after a quick 'dump and leave' of all our booth items in the hall - awaiting the next day's set-up... . *talk about postponing until tomorrow whatever you can!)

We set up on friday morning/afternoon (this normally takes about 6 hours) - after that we collapsed and then that night we played with our friends. Sillyness at the campsite was the order of the day. Especially because it was K's birthday! (happy b-day my love)

Here are a few party shots:
Diane McKinnon showing her stuff..... "did I tell you about this shawl?" (it's the infamous shawl that she won from last year's fleece to shawl competition at BSG - Diane was the weaver in the group..... isn't it lovely? ! )
and then there was amazing culinary skill at our camp site.... We dined like kings and queens - it was the chef Doug, and his wife Celeste and son, Daniel .... thank you Doug for all your amazing royal treatment last weekend.Enough lamb to float a battleship was eaten..

there was the hilarious 'moving of the tent event.... a new friend who had stationed herself too close to the goats and was sung to "sleep" by goats who baaaed all night long.. tee hee.. we warned her, but she tried it out the first evening. (yes, we'd had a few glasses of wine that night. what a laugh! before we did this, she asked.. 'who's drunk enough to move my tent/' many hands went up!)


The festival actually began on saturday - photos from our booth pre-show are on my other camera.. and will have to wait a bit. Here's a couple typical shots from that day; people EVERYWHERE ! (this is a good thing!)














Here's my buddy Tina from Blue Moon Fiber Arts (yes, Socks that Rock fame) It was great to see you again girl!








And here's Lan from Carolina Homespun - gottcha good girl!







and then this is Morgaine (the tall goddess in the middle of the photo) Lan's partner and co-owner of Carolina Homepsun. They are the best - and we buy from them all the time. I only wish that we lived closer to San Francisco so we could see them more!




There were 140 vendors in total - that makes this the biggest fiber fair in the Pacific Northwest. Please try to attend next year, if you've never been. There are tons of classes, vendors, outside events, lamb cook-offs, music, kid-events and fleece sales. All-in-all an amazing weekend.

our friends showed up all over the place.(my favorite part of these events....) here's a few photos to share:

Chris brought her sweater to show - handknit from our pencil roving - isn't it amazing?! She let me display it in the booth that day and it was enjoyed by many.


Cheryl (yes that one from my earlier post on the Sock Hop spinning) spun even at night with me by the Rv - talk about dedicated! .. and they brought birthday beer for my honey - Will (Cheryls' husband and cheescake guru) brought home brewed porter beer with a custom CMF label) as well as three cheesecakes (yummmmm.. sweet potato, pinapple and marionberry) We were in heaven!

and many others hung out and played thru the wee hours of the night.. Loyce, Tim, Cynthia, Rebekka, Elda, Sandoval and many more. (if I didn't show a photo of you, you may now thank me.. some weren't so very pretty)

Oh and yes, we sold a bunch. Thank you to all our wonderful customers and friends. We had a blast. and we can't wait until next year. (It's my favorite show.. can you tell?!)

12 Comments:

At September 30, 2006 at 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am marking my calendar for next year. How fun would that be? Besides, the PNW is one of the few parts of the country I haven't visited.

Congrats on your booth success!

 
At September 30, 2006 at 9:18 PM, Blogger Karen said...

It sounds like it was a great festival. That pencil roving sweater is really pretty!

 
At September 30, 2006 at 9:35 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Belated happy birthday to K, and I'm glad to hear that you had such a great festival - looks like a lot of fun.

 
At September 30, 2006 at 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND Happy B-Day to K! I can't believe I forgot that the first comment!

 
At October 1, 2006 at 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow sounds like a fun fiber event! Glad you had a good time! Happy birthday to K!

 
At October 1, 2006 at 4:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I loved your recap! I hope the festival was as successful as it was fun!

 
At October 1, 2006 at 5:40 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Camping and fiber in one weekend. I'm not sure I could handle all that fun. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with friends and success at the fair.

 
At October 1, 2006 at 7:10 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Wow, enough to make we wish I was 3000 miles away.

 
At October 1, 2006 at 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had the opportunity to attend a fiber festival, but it sure looks like a ton of fun! I'm glad business was good (can't wait to see photos of the booth). And happy belated birthday to K!

 
At October 2, 2006 at 7:49 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Wow! Sounds like such a good time (for vendors and customers!!!)

 
At October 3, 2006 at 2:07 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

I'm buying my lotto tickets so that I can go next year and buy buy buy! What a blast you had! And the yarn shot have my salivary gland working over time! Oh the colours!

Looks like K had a good birthday! Camping cake and home brew just for him! He's cute too!

 
At May 1, 2007 at 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words... I loved cooking for you! You contributed some outsanding grub to that weekend too you know... it was fun having a birthday party break out in our group. We look forward to doing it all over again. And this year I am going to do a Flambe' on the EVO Grill... pooooof!

D~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home