the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Encouragement

Let me say it right up front........
I am a fiber enabler !
(and durned proud of it!) I believe that honesty is always the best policy :-) And yes, for all you observant ones.. I gave in, and am spinning one of the newest colorways: Twist and Shout. photos will come soon.

I come home from work, get into my "comfy" clothes and sit down to spin. Sometimes there is a glass of wine at this hour... but one thing is for certain...... there is always a kitty cat "helping". Here's Miss Em giving the assist tonight.

Speaking of cats: it has been a long time since I have updated anyone on our indoor beauties: here they are, sprawled across my favorite white chair (of course). definately no longer "kittens". We got them one year ago, and our lives have been so enriched by their presence.

I've been spinning for 5 years now, and I can definately say that I'm loving every minute of it. Spinning is one of those hobbies that relaxes me. My mind becomes quiet - and the space where new creations can begin opens up. I do my best thinking while I'm spinning.
Sometimes I will listen to music, but mostly I just spin - watching the colors glide through my fingers, twisting into a beautiful yarn.

This is a post to encourage all you beginning spinners out there - Spin On! Don't worry if your yarn is lumpy, bumpy, loose and floppy, overspun or too flat - spin. and save everything. One day you will find the perfect project for the wonderful yarn you are making.
Do I hear some disbelief? Do I hear.. "oh, my spinning is so bad, I'll never use that..."?
Not true

This is a table scarf that I created in a beginning weaving class through the Northwest Regional Spinners Association. It is entirely made up from handspun yarn. (specifically... the first handspun yarns)

My husband began spinning in 2002 - and while he hasn't spun much in recent months, he can spin ! (His is the reddish-blue yarn in the woven scarf) I had some pale green handspun "flicked" cashgora yarn (see closeup photo above of that yarn). I made it from our goat's fiber - and the texture was so wild! I set off for class, and I took my husbands very first spinning and combined it with my very first flicking - it came out pretty great (if I do say so myself)

The lumps and extra twists add a dimension that a 'perfect' yarn could never have. It is exactly
what I was hoping for!

We sell a wonderful handmade turkish drop spindle on our website - and we are adding a beautifully written booklet on how to spin with a turkish drop spindle. (scroll down to the bottom of this page to see the booklet) This sweet little booklet was written by Wanda Jenkins - and the photos throughout the booklet are of her spinning. It is just about all you'll need to learn on your own! (well, of course you'll want a bit of fiber too!)


So spin if you're busy; spin if you're alone, spin with pets and without... just spin. It is truly a delight to knit and weave with handspun fiber.
You can do it.... give it a try :-)
(even the kittens approve.)

12 Comments:

At August 30, 2006 at 5:01 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

That's so true. Just Spin.

 
At August 30, 2006 at 5:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spinning is such a relaxing rewarding thing to do. I also do my best thinking when I spin. Sometimes I'm just too keyed up to knit and spinning just seems to chill me right out! Can't wait to see the twist and shout spun up. Happy spinning!

 
At August 30, 2006 at 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfect timing! You just knew I was getting discouraged, didn't you? Well, I'm not giving up. I've set a goal to spin at least every other day, and I've switched to the pencil roving. It is much easier than the merino at my present skill level (or lack thereof)! You are the bomb, btw!! Thanks for all your help!

 
At August 30, 2006 at 9:33 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I already think too much as it is, so I mostly just spin when I spin. :)

That's a lovely table scarf. I didn't know you knew how to weave too. You are so talented!

 
At August 30, 2006 at 9:46 AM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Teyani, thanks for teaching me to spin. :-) You made it so simple and easy.

You still make it look as though it's the most relaxing thing in the world to do! Easy chair, cuddly cat and colorful wool. Nothing quite like spinning to soothe one's soul.

 
At August 30, 2006 at 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like fun...but I just can't give up knitting time just yet. Perhaps I will want to learn soon.

 
At August 30, 2006 at 10:48 AM, Blogger Lanea said...

The kittens! They're so gorgeous. Though I do have a soft spot for black cats.

 
At August 30, 2006 at 12:12 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I love the fabric you wove from the handspun yarn. It's fabulous!

 
At August 31, 2006 at 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to get a wheel, but current finances aren't allowing for it. I'm hoping after the holidays, things will be looking up. I may have to give the Turkish drop spindle a try, though. I have a couple spindles that I'm not really happy with. Maybe a new spindle will rekindle my spinning interest.
You are an enabler, aren't you? ;)

 
At August 31, 2006 at 1:32 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

I have a spindle - but no one to teach me... :o(

 
At September 1, 2006 at 9:33 AM, Blogger tatjana said...

The scarf looks gorgeous! Does that mean I should learn how to weave too, so I can make more things out of my handspun? ;) Thanks for the encouragement and enabling!

 
At September 1, 2006 at 6:46 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Fun to see pictures of both your cats and of YOU!! Chaos might get a little sister...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home