the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Escape from Nupp

Success! I've completed the nupp rows... and with MLK Day coming up, I feel like shouting (respectfully of course) FREE AT LAST!
Many thanks to all the blog friends who's handy comments on my previous post were of great help. (I get by with a little help from my friends)..... silly me, I'm thinking in movie titles, speech phrases and song. Can you tell that history is floating around in my mind today? !
No photos of nupp rows (yet) - I will wait until I have blocked it.

So a few thoughts about nupps:
first: if you are going to knit this shawl, I would highly recommend that you first practice nupps with the yarn and needles that you are planning to knit the shawl with. Learning to knit nupps (say that ten times fast, will ya!) when you arrive at them in the middle of the shawl is not wise. (hmm, wonder what that says about me. ho ho ho!)

second: With the suggestion of "knit loose, loose, loose" from Ann, I did just that. It helped alot. Then after a few more rows, I tried a slightly different thing... When knitting the nupp, I pinched the stitch just below the right hand needle, after I had wrapped, and while wrapping the next section. (does this make sense?) What it did was to keep the wrap and stitch from tightening while I did the next stitch and wrap. I found that this was ultimately the jazz - and I breezed through (quiet... no loud laughter) the remaining 16 nupp rows - with no additional hooks/needles required.

third: I wish that I had practiced before beginning the shawl, as the nupp size is varied throughout the rows. The last few rows are the best of all.. (refer to first suggestion) I am hoping that the magic of blocking saves the day...Silly me!

Will I rip it out? naaaaahhhh - I'll just wait and wash/block it and see what happens. You know, alot of floppi-ness comes out in the wash (so they tell me!) AND, I plan on making another one of these shawls right away. I just need to find the yarn for it. I want to try one with a heavier weight yarn, so the shawl will be larger. It's a fabulous pattern.

So, to make up for a lack of shawl-nupp-photos, I will entice you with this.............
It's been snowing and cold here (brrrrrr.. not above 32 for a long time)










So what's a wizard to do when it's cold outside?? Come up with new colorways, for sure!

This one's a sneak preview of just one color in the nine new superwash roving colors that will soon be available on our website.. it's called "Do You Wanna Dance" and I created it for my blog buddy Jane,
who had this request one day not too long ago...

I promise to have some decent 'daylight' photos soon - but I couldn't wait to share.


Have a lovely rest of the weekend all. I'm off to spin and finish knitting on Swallowtail. more pictures soon.

20 Comments:

At January 13, 2007 at 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*gasp* Those are perfect color combinations. Man, I have to find a job quick because I am desperate for some CMF Superwash. Can't wait to see the 8 other new colors!

 
At January 13, 2007 at 7:56 PM, Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

Oh, I need that one!! When are the other colors coming out? I've only got five in my stash...

 
At January 13, 2007 at 8:08 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Oooo, nice one, Teyani. Glad I could help on the nups -- gripping the one below to keep them loose.. really right on. Can't wait to see the finished product.

 
At January 13, 2007 at 8:33 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

That's a really wild colorway!

 
At January 14, 2007 at 1:17 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Congrats on those nupps! I figured it would click pretty soon :)

 
At January 14, 2007 at 5:12 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Great new colorway! Can't wait to see the rest. I'm glad you made it through the nupps and I think they will look uniform after you get it blocked.

 
At January 14, 2007 at 5:28 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Congratulations on mastering the dreaded nupp. And that new colour way is fab!

 
At January 14, 2007 at 6:19 AM, Blogger Dave said...

So glad you survived Nuppville. Those winter wonderland photos are gorgeous!

 
At January 14, 2007 at 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nine new colors? Wheee! Just in time for some major stash enhancement!

Love the winter wonderland shots. So pretty!!

 
At January 14, 2007 at 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you made it through the nupps and lived to tell about it! Hee hee. I guess they can't be that bad, if you're planning on knitting the pattern again.

Those pictures of the snow are stunning. The first one looks like it should be printed on canvas and framed!

 
At January 14, 2007 at 11:57 AM, Blogger Krista McCurdy said...

ooh, new colourways! ahhh...can't wait to see them. and can't wait to see the shawl! I've been dyeing up some incredible laceweight 50/50 silk/merino yarn for sale... and all these beautiful lace shawls I see are urging me to knit lace. It's freezing over here in the Bay Area too, by the way-- not nearly as cold, probably, as over there, but still seriously cold for here. I really don't want to see my gas bill! And I have decided that end of this month/ beg. of next month a Schact is definitely going to be mine!

 
At January 14, 2007 at 1:16 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I can hardly wait to see the after blocking pictures!! Gorgeous wintery pictures - far more wintery than it is here!

 
At January 14, 2007 at 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing the finished shawl! I can't wait to see the new CMF colors. I have to say I've become quite addicted to your beautiful superwash rovings!

 
At January 14, 2007 at 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The snow is sooooo pretty!
So are the new colors!

 
At January 15, 2007 at 2:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The snow is beautiful, if not lovely to be out in for too long. We're finally getting a dose in the northeast and I'm thrilled. But I'll be sick of it by tomorrow.

 
At January 15, 2007 at 5:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wait...what...? You dyed my sunset? You lovely woman, you! I need some of that roving! Save me some, please? I'm so smiling right now...

XOXO

 
At January 15, 2007 at 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your journey out of the Land of Nupps. You give me hope.

THe colorway really captures the picture. Very cool.

Snow? I'm envious. Rain here. *bleah*

 
At January 15, 2007 at 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why, I don't even know what a nupp is....I must come back to visit after you've posted a picture.

 
At January 15, 2007 at 5:32 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Thanks for the (um) pointers! I have the Swallowtail shawl in my future, so I'll try and remember to practice the nupps first.

 
At January 16, 2007 at 8:21 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

ooooh - love the new color - exactly what the hubby likes! Does that mean more Sock Hop soon?

All that snow! we are finally getting cold here, but still no white stuff (except if you count ice)

Great job conquering the Nupps!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home