the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, April 22, 2006

What would you do?

A couple of posts ago I showed a picture of a sock that just wasn't working for me.. the pattern was complex, and didn't show up enough when knit with handpainted varigated Lorna's Laces in colorway Mixed Berry.

I debated - I turned it this way and that - I knit another row or two - set it down... to rip or not to rip asks I... well, ultimately, my kittens decided it for me. I found said sock strewn around the house (yes, I mean aaaaaa-roooooooooound the entire house). The needles were on my chair, the partial sock was here.. and there.. and there.. Yarn threaded its way over the couch, under the dining room chair, up the stairs and under the bed :-)
I attempted to pick up the stitches, and then fell into a fit of laughter - since I had already made up my mind that the pattern really needed a solid colored yarn.
AND so.. last thursday, I searched that marvelous book again (Sensational Knitted Socks) and found just the thing!
This is a pattern called Welt Fantastic. It's originally designed for self patterning yarn - but the design caught me - inspired me - teased me as it beckoned my name. I was completely caught up. I felt so clever that I understood the directions well enough to add 2 more stitches to each repeat. Ta-dah... it was working! The pattern was so simple that I didn't need to take the book along. Off I went to Seattle, for a day of pampering with my daughter.. and blithely knit and knit. (that should have been my first clue)
I love the way this yarn works with this - wanna see it up closer?

AND NOW FOR THE DILEMMA !
This afternoon, I turned the heel, having used the clever directions once again to figure out how many to slip and knit. I was so smug (that should have been my second clue). Once the heel was truly turned, I sat back down, looked both ways to make sure the room was a kitten-free-zone at that moment - and tried on my new sock.
Gack! Arrggh ! Drats! It is too small to fit over my heel. I take a deep breath, squeeze my foot out of its mummy-wrapped sock and examine it once again - How could I have done this to myself yet a second time in a row? - I hold the sock this way and that - could it stretch a little on the blockers??

And then I remembered what The Yarn Harlot said in her most recent book , Knitting Rules! : if blocking involves the word "yank" you've most likely done something wrong.... sigh.. right again.

To rip or not to rip?
Or should I just continue knitting, assume that my feet are never supposed to wear this lovely colorway, and pray that someone with a short narrow foot enters my life in the next decade? (note that both my daughters have the same size feet as me, and my Mom's are slightly longer..sigh..)
So what would you do?

12 Comments:

At April 22, 2006 at 3:17 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I would rip it. Think of it as getting exceptional value from that yarn. :)

The yarn looks great in that welt pattern!

 
At April 22, 2006 at 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send them to me!!

Kidding!

Rib, baby! That colorway is gorgeous (I used it for my Ene Shawl). You want to be able to wear and enjoy it!

 
At April 22, 2006 at 3:52 PM, Blogger Jenny Raye said...

I vote rip, too. You want that gorgeous yarn to make a sock that fits! What if you rip and then go up a needle size on the ankle area?

 
At April 22, 2006 at 4:02 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

I would rip them. In fact, I had this problem with a pair of Jays earlier this year and ripped them four times - but I have socks that fit now.

 
At April 22, 2006 at 6:41 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Sorry, Tey, but I too would rip it. You can always start again and knit ones that fit. That yarn is gorgeous - it deserves to be on your foot fitting all nice and comfy :-)

 
At April 22, 2006 at 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, dear - another rip vote. It would be a shame not to be able to wear something that gorgeous. Just think of the first attempt as a practise run...

Love,
Lissa

 
At April 23, 2006 at 5:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah you are gonna have to rip and use a larger # of sts and or a bigger needle. This sock resembles the infamous Jaywalkers my dear and there were plenty of people that had the same problem with that sock. But, the sock IIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSS beautiful! I say rip and knit it again a bit larger!

 
At April 23, 2006 at 5:33 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

I think I'd have a hard time being inspired to finish it knowing that it wouldn't fit me or anyone I know. Or you could offer it up to Sockapaloooza as an angel sock. ;-)

 
At April 23, 2006 at 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rip! That colorway is too good to waste waiting to meet someone with a skinny foot who deserves it!

 
At April 23, 2006 at 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post made me laugh so hard - the part about looking both ways to make sure it was a knitting free zone - hilarious! As for the sock - it looks BEAUTIFUL but RIP IT! If you know you won't be comfortable in them or they won't fit right why waste the time finishing this one and starting a second? Rip it, fix it and then purr with enjoyment when you have the two spectacular socks onyour feet!!

 
At April 23, 2006 at 8:18 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I say rip too. Rip those bad socks and put them in a time out for a bit so they know they were bad. Then try again.

 
At April 24, 2006 at 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if a different heel would make a difference? I was thinking about Cat Bordhi's sock class at Madrona... She put a gusset on the instep instead of on the heel side on one of her new designs and three short row triangles in another design. Maybe you could make something like that work if you add room where your heel binds when you are trying to get the sock on. I was so hoping you'd found a jaywalker-like pattern that had enough elasticity in it to be wearable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home