the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Sunday, May 28, 2006

A Lovely day off




It was close to the end of the week - and I was ready.... it was time for a day off! Yippee !
I drove up to Seattle (about 1 hour & 45 minutes from our farm). I got pampered, I treated myself to a gift, and had a fabulous pizza. Nothing quite beats a fabulous pizza.

The spinning continues, and Cheryl & I wonder how we can squeeze another 10 hours in a day :-) All knitting had ceased, sleep barely happened, the fiber dyeing pots have been cooking up pounds of fiber every day. The garden is jammed full with weeds that threaten to squish my lovely flowers, laundry isn't getting done, and the dust... well, let's not go there. I had seen a full quota of clients this week. Our preparations for the two big upcoming fiber fairs were in progress. A rest was in order.



Before my couple of hours being pampered as my daughter did my hair (thank you Erin !), I wandered over to my favorite little yarn shop in Seattle (So Much Yarn). This is a shop that just makes you want to sigh with delight as you enter. The sales staff is cheerful, fun and knowledgable (yahoo) All the yarn is amazing. I walk around grinning, touching, ooohhing and aaahhing for hours. I never fail to find some grand new project to play with when I visit there.
Here's what I came home with this time :
Lauren (shop owner) designed a fabulous shrug that has ruffles around the edges. I couldn't help myself - I dove in. (and needless-to-say, I cast on this morning)

Now here's my thought for all you blog knitters around the world : Support your local yarn shops ! Yes, it's true that you might find an amazing bargin on line from one of the humongo cut throat discounters, yes it's true that you might save a few dollars .... BUT (and that's a big but) whatever would we do without a place to go "touch and see" the yarn of our dreams? Who would be there to talk to if we need help with a complicated pattern?.... just sayin'..... How about we all make a little promise to ourselves, to buy at least 1 skein of yarn a month from a small local shop. Who's in with me?

Meanwhile, back at the farm... it's raining here. Now, some of you might moan over a week's worth of rain, not I, says the fiberwizard. There's weeding to be done (and afterall you can't weed in the rain, all that mud you know) there's grass to be cut (same as before) and there's watering to be done (normally.. ha ha). So instead, I celebrate, doing a small happy dance when I wake and see that it's still raining.. now I can knit! (she giggles in glee)
The flowers are popping open here - and it's truly spring.

On Friday a lovely gift came in my mailbow, from my blogging buddy Leah.... handmade sock yarn bags ! She must have heard me say that I could never have enough (grins). Aren't they lovely ! and yup, I just had to cast on a new sock to jump right into it's lovely bag. Doesn't the pelennor sock coordinate nicely with the bag? (tee-hee) So now I am the proud owner of three sock bags hand made by Leah and Trek (see earlier post). wander over to their blogs and tell them how fabulous you think they are okay?
I sure am one fortunate fiberwizard. :-)

5 Comments:

At May 28, 2006 at 4:59 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I support some of my local yarn shops. But - we have over 20 in the metro area, so I have to focus my efforts! :)

Really cute sock bags! And glad that you took some time to pamper yourself.

 
At May 28, 2006 at 5:45 PM, Blogger quantumtea said...

Just bought a spinning wheel (Ashford Kiwi) from my local yarn barn, it's a good place just to hang out and de-stress too.

 
At May 28, 2006 at 9:58 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

You said it about the rain -- Bring it on. I've been reacting the same way upon hearing the rain at dawn. Takes care of the guilt.

Somehow I can't bring myself to feel sorry for those who planned outings for the long weekend. :-)

 
At May 29, 2006 at 2:02 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I am seeing these lovely socks bags everywhere these days. The ones that Leah made you are really pretty! The one on the left is awesome!
I'm glad you were able to have some "me" time for yourself this weekend Teyani. You deserve it!

 
At May 30, 2006 at 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that sock yarn matches the sock bag so well!

That gives me an idea....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home