the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Me & Aretha Rockin' Out

While New England suffers its floods and storms, we are in a heat wave. It's been 82 in town, which translates to 88-90 degrees here on our hill. While this might not seem like such a heat wave to my southern friends and family, remember that west coast homes don't have air conditioning (hmmmm, maybe I should say: yet)

Yesterday evening it was too hot to even knit, so I pulled out my spinning wheel and contented myself to the slow gentle movement, watching some gorgeous colors glide through my hands. This is a batch of Blue Faced Leicester that was hand dyed by my friend Lisa. I bought it from her last year at Northwest Regionals Spinners Conference, and spun most of it over that weekend. Lest you go looking, no, this colorway isn't on our website.. (yet ?) I could ask her to make some up for you if you like. The color is called Hadhafang.


So today comes along (yes, it's hot and dry again) and after a morning of weeding in my garden (until the sun really got hot) I hopped off to work to see clients. Lo and behold,
they had cancelled... (me thinks the heat is getting to all of us out here) So, lucky me... I raced back home to get started on a knitting project....... yup, you guessed it................. a new sock!
Now it's too hot to knit quickly, but the lovely Beck's beer helped. (of course it's German !) Here's where the "rockin' out with Aretha" comes in......I'm singing a sweet tune while I knit; this is our new colorway "Say a Little Prayer". The original song was sung by none other than Aretha Franklin , and was recently in a cute movie called "My Best Friend's Wedding."
So here I am singing along, sippin'
my icey cold beer, and I invite you all to join in
Each day when I wake up, before I put on my makeup
I say a little prayer for you-

While combin' my hair now - and wonderin' what dress to wear now
I say a little prayer for you
Forever, forever, you'll stay in my heart and I will love you...

..... oops, carried away a bit (grins).. here's the close up. Isn't the Embossed Leaves pattern fun in this yarn?.
Stay cool out there all you rock 'n rollers.



14 Comments:

At May 17, 2006 at 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that song!

And the pattern!

And especially that colorway!

Rock on, Teyani!!

 
At May 17, 2006 at 8:24 PM, Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Excellent colorway for the Embossed Leaves! Can't wait to see the finished product.

 
At May 17, 2006 at 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful!!!

 
At May 17, 2006 at 9:13 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

I'm singing - can you hear me???

Your temps sound like our Texas type weather. Beck's is a time tested proven way to chill out as is a Corona with a bit of lime, amiga.

Lovely color combination on the yarn you are spinning. And your Embossed Leaves already looks great in its colorway.

 
At May 18, 2006 at 2:03 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

The socks looks great in that colorway. I like the colorway of the Leicester as well...

 
At May 18, 2006 at 5:46 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Oh, and I LOVE your salt and pepper!

 
At May 18, 2006 at 6:15 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

Nice sock pattern, nice colorway. Wish I were there with you -- knittin' and sippin'!

 
At May 18, 2006 at 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I was there - sounds like the perfect way to stay cool.

Hmmm, maybe Hadhafang would make a cool sock yarn colorway...

 
At May 18, 2006 at 7:48 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

I can just picture you, drinking your beer, singing Aretha, and knitting! Love the image!

 
At May 18, 2006 at 8:35 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

That's a great colorway for that pattern. :)

 
At May 19, 2006 at 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Leah - I love the song (have the soundtrack from My Best Friend's Wedding and that's on there) - I LOVE the Leicester colors oh my gosh beautiful and the socks look wonderful!!

 
At May 19, 2006 at 12:48 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hope it cools down for you soon! We're having daytime 65, nighttime 45 temps here, but I swear they should be including the windchill - brrrrr.

 
At May 19, 2006 at 9:57 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Did you get the rain today up there? It was lovely to smell the wet earth again and hear the rain on the roof. We had a long gentle rain most of the day.

Great socks! How do you find the time to knit so many things, spin, garden and see clients? (Shakes head in wonder!)

 
At May 21, 2006 at 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teyani, the new yarns are just wonderful! I love the one with the yellow and purple.

Oh and your "visitor" Yikes! That's a racoon isn't it? I'm always afraid my dogs will corner one in my back yard and try to kill it. Those things are known for being carriers of rabies. ick!

The cats are adorable "guarding" the door however! GRIN.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home