the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Ode to a Sock




Oh needles so small, so round and so thin
You point on both ends
You about did me in.


You’d bend and you’d break,
Or the tips cats would chew
Til one day came a bag to put you in to.



Oh patterns so long, so detailed, so new,
I’d fret and I’d ponder
Deathly pale was my hue.





It all started Thanksgiving of 2005
I cast on quite bravely – but would I survive.



My place became lost – my rows were confused
Til one day came Karen –knotted yarn was my clue.

Oh yarn so confusing, you’d boggle my mind
There were stripes, there were solids,
There was thick, there was fine.
Til one day came Lisa - inspiration was mine!

Oh socks , so amazing, you’d twist and you’d turn,
Round and round I would go, til my fingers they’d burn.
Now the cuff it was easy, after cast on was done-
Then the heel would approach and my brain would go numb.

Oh my, there were holes
Call them ladders you say?
And how would I make this?
My face did turn gray.

Oh gussets, dear gusset, my heart’s all aflame,
Eye of partridge or slip stitch-
Count the rows I’m fair game.
Slip a stitch, count your numbers
So confused I’d knit on.
Purl and knit, slip and count
Hold my breath.. is this fun?

Oh and then came the tough part, find a stitch on the side !
Oh the holes in the ankles and miscounting, my- my
There’ll be no more sock yarn, I sighed and I sighed.

Then one day I found a class so sublime
Knit a sock, said Charlene
It’s so simple.. you’re fine.
We tinked and made beep noise
We laughed til we cried
The kitchner came easy
Zen breaths and we sighed.

Count the rows, then we learned, there’s a loop on the side
There’s a sock that’s emerging
Just continue, You’re fine.
Slip the last, not the first
Or garter them three.
And your head will not spin
Oh how happy you’ll be!
Twas a class so delightful
We sailed thru the test.
Make a sock now, it’s easy
No math, do your best!

Oh -then came Amanda
and partnered us all-
The feet are still Bloomin'
Blogs are fun for us all.

Oh the sock yarns they call me
And I do not delay
They hop in my basket
Saying ‘buy me today’

Thru picking and throwing, my sock lives intact
Thru darning and yelling, my heart does not crack
Thru thick and fat needles. Thru thin and so small,
I’ve conquered the sock monster
Now I stand tall.

Come lace do your darndest
Come cables, let’s ride
Come twisting and turning,
I take it in stride

Now my feet are a’ dancing
The “Sock Hop”s begun
Toss your shoes in the corner
And we’ll dance until One

Show your toes
Strut your heels
Wag those soles and let’s dance !
Socks have won and I sing now, to the sock yarn romance!

(epic Ode by Teyani)

11 Comments:

At May 11, 2006 at 11:52 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Exactly how many socks are you currently knitting?

 
At May 11, 2006 at 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the best homage to sock knitting I have ever read! I wasn't really enamored with sock knitting at first, but as I learned more, the call of sock yarn and patterns was far too much to resist. Thanks for sharing!

 
At May 11, 2006 at 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I love this epic!!

Too cute!!

And the socks, of course, look divine! Though it would appear that you are going to need more than one sock bag!

 
At May 11, 2006 at 3:06 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Hmm me thinks you have a serious case of startitis happening over there. :) Your poem was awesome! I bet that took a while to write! And that basket of sock yarn is beautiful beyond words!!

 
At May 11, 2006 at 3:44 PM, Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Bravo!!!! Your sock ode is the tops!

 
At May 11, 2006 at 5:18 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

I second everyone's kudos! Great writing! Adn beautiful socks...

 
At May 12, 2006 at 6:32 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

That was a great read! How perfect!!! "The Sock Anthem"

(I am drooling over your sock yarn basket!)

 
At May 12, 2006 at 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T, you make me smile!

 
At May 12, 2006 at 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have I mentioned today how awesome I think you are? No? Well, consider it mentioned. Save some sock yarn for the rest of us (seriously, that basket is so pretty it hurts)!

 
At May 13, 2006 at 7:12 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Sock-O-Rama all on your own there!

 
At May 15, 2006 at 2:57 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Wonderful!! You're an artist of many dimensions. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home