the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Bummer ~ not again !

At Black Sheep Gathering,last June, I went over to a friend's booth and "treated" myself to some new Lantern Moon ebony double pointed size one knitting needles. joy.... not.
I took them on vacation, and the very first time I knit with them, they broke.. 3 out of five... within moments of using them.
luckily I had several other pairs of needles along with me.
When I returned home, I called this company, and they cheerfully switched out my order for a set of rosewood Lantern Moon double pointed size 1 needles. I was delighted with their customer service, and ever since they arrived I have been anxious to take them out for a spin. :-)

Today was the big day - I was testing out a pattern for a pair of socks that I am designing. JOY>! they felt like heaven, gliding through my fingers. My mind wandered about the post I would make, extoling the virtues of rosewood dpns........... not... here's what happened, again first time out of the box, and within a few rounds of knitting... sigh.... cursed... dumb, dumb, dumb. Wanna see even closer?

Now, mind you, I love my Lantern Moon needles in size 7 and size 9 - I use them with great delight - but never again for their dpns. no more. nada. zippo. zilch. I don't need another experience to tell me what I know..... these are not for me. $21.00 down the drain.... yet I am not a slow learner - It doesn't take three times to learn. these small Lantern Moon needles - well, to say it clearly, they stink. don't buy 'em..... "just sayin"...

So, then I went back to my wonderful Fleece Artist handpainted "Ivory" socks for Toasty Toes. I knit a few rows, did all the decreases for the heel to instep - and THEN..... THIS......
sigh... I think that it wasn't my day..... I am soooooooooo disappointed.
Perhaps it is because we try to be so careful when we make the Sock Hop Yarn - perhaps it is because I know that this is a hand-painted yarn, and the artist's handle every inch of the fiber...... perhaps I expect too much....
These socks have gone to the time-out bin. I'll resume when I have the wear-with-all to repair the yarn, and do some sort of "join" to hide this yucky blooper in the yarn.
disappointed ?
yup.
Who knows how long the "time out" will last.... I have until the end of October to finish the socks for Toasty Toes. We shall see.
Is anyone else out there experiencing this? or did I just have an exceptionally bad sock knitting day?

16 Comments:

At August 10, 2006 at 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had the tiny Brittany dpn's break, but I've had good luck with the Lantern Moon.

Most recently I've been knitting with the Crystal Palace bamboo and I have to say I was happy with the performance. Addi makes some good bamboo dpn's too.

Surely that was a fluke with the Fleece Artist. Let's hope, anyway!

 
At August 11, 2006 at 12:01 AM, Blogger aija said...

Ugh, I *hate* knots/slubs and breaking dpns and well, all that stuff sock knitters hate!

I'd contact fleece artist... they may not know (may have been hidden in the skein away from the dyer's eye) and LM... I don't like my LMs too much, they're a little bendy and I can see me just losing it when I snap them like I snapped my brittany's (I paid $21 for the LMs too, expecting something super great... eh.) You may want to look for the Susanne's ebonies, I have a short glove length pair in 3.0mm (I'm going this weekend to look for 2.5mm) that I really like. Very solid compared to the LMs, and I think they're comparable pricewise, too.

 
At August 11, 2006 at 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd think for 21 dollars the needles would have been made better! Well hopefully you'll have a better sock knitting day today.

 
At August 11, 2006 at 3:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My size 1 LM's broke, too, and I gave up on them without getting replacements. Not for me. I've snapped just one Brittany out of the 5 or 6 sets I have. There ya go.

Too bad about the Fleece Artist, but a little spit-splice will fix it! I'd contact them, too. That looks like a spot that got some abrasion.

 
At August 11, 2006 at 4:01 AM, Blogger Julie said...

I've had the occasional size 0 Brittany break on me but thankfully they'll replace them. I bought two sets so that I'm never short one. I've tried magic loop and tried two circs and I think I'm just a DPN knitter where socks are concerned. Shame about the yarn- it's usually knots that happen to me but I've had that funky join bit happen in one particular brand and I can't quite recall which one it was. As soon as I get some sewing done I'm going to wind my Toasty Toes yarn. I learned in Sockapalooza I need to leave time to decide I don't like the ones I knit and do a second pair so I'll get going pretty soon.

 
At August 11, 2006 at 5:12 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh, you were having a bad day! I hope today is better for you. I have never tried the LM needles and probably won't now. I mostly use bamboo and Inox. I only broke one size 1 bamboo once and that was because hubby sat on it.

 
At August 11, 2006 at 6:04 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Ugh - talk about a bad knitting day!!! The broken DPN's are why I went to Magic Loop. Way too many pairs of snapped needles!

I had a "knot" incident with my STR. They were wonderful and sent me a replacement skein. It didn't take away from the frustration of running into multiple knots in only 1/2 the skein, but it did show me they cared. I'd try contacting Fleece Artist - for nothing more than to let them know.

 
At August 11, 2006 at 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have several friends who have had their Lantern Moon ebony dpns break on them . . . seems to be a very common problem! I've had good luck with mine so far, but whenever I use them, I always expect to have one snap at any moment!

 
At August 11, 2006 at 6:54 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

3 of 5 in the first time out??
Slubs?

Contact both of the companies! I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Now go find a well-behaved set of dpns and sock yarn.

 
At August 11, 2006 at 9:16 AM, Blogger Mia said...

Welcome to the Lantern Moon dpn break club! I had mine brak first time out. My LYS swapped them out and after breaking a totoal of 5 needles, the owner of my LYS swapped out the LM dpbs for my favorite Brittanys. I have 2 Brittanys break in a size 0 but I have several sets and Brittany sent me a whole set to use to replace any broken ones. I am sticking to Brittanys from now on.

 
At August 11, 2006 at 1:49 PM, Blogger Laura said...

So far--major knocking on wood here--I've never broken a knitting needle. Not one. I use bamboo double points from Crystal Palace. Have you tried those? I dunno. Some people seem to go through a lot of the smaller sizes. Maybe I'm just lucky. Fingers crossed. (Yes, all this is making typing difficult, though obviously not impossible.)

As to the fiber. Yeah, I've had those spots in sock yarn. Can't stand 'em. Especially when it's expensive sock yarn. Especially when there's more than one spot in the ball. :-(

Bummer, dudette. You're having a bad sock day.

 
At August 12, 2006 at 2:10 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Pooey to both!!

 
At August 14, 2006 at 7:30 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

I had a pair of those Lantern Moons in size 1, too, and they broke before I finished my first pair of socks with them. I liked them - until they broke. But you're right, they're too expensive to have that kind of result.

 
At August 14, 2006 at 9:55 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Whew, I'm just catching up here and sympathize with your horrible, terrible, no-good, very bad day of knitting woes.

That's why Ed doesn't make small wood needles or hooks, the break factor is just too high when wood is turned that thin. I love my dp bamboo needles, haven't had any break, yet. They're also very sharp which helps when doing a ssk.

I'll go read your newer entries to find out if you've had better success now.

 
At August 22, 2006 at 8:23 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Glad I haven't bought any!

 
At August 30, 2006 at 7:21 AM, Blogger Irie said...

I too have a broken Lantern Moon size 1, broken during the first time use. I might have been a bit hard on them though, but still, I didn't even knit ONE sock with them before *SNAP*

It must be hard to get such a tiny skinny piece of wood to be sturdy and strong. What DPNs do you recommend?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home