the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, August 5, 2006

A funny Thing Happened...

.. on the way to the sock drawer...
Remember these? From last February? They were my second ever pair of hand knit socks - and my second ever lace knitting. I made them for the Knitting Olympics.
sigh.

On the way to the sock drawer via the washing machine...... (note: we're playing a sad tune here... bum,bum,ba,bum; bum bum bummmm da bum da bum..) this happened:

Now this might not be a problem if I still knew someone with size 4 feet. But being as how my girls and I all wear an average size 8, these shall now find their way to the trash. I thought about donating them to some charity... but I figure they might still shrink - and I wouldn't give that experience to anyone on purpose!

Me? I'm still laughing hysterically at my own silliness. I am always soooo careful with my laundry; ~ wash on cold ~ line dry the expensive stuff ~ it's just been forever that I had anything that was handwash only........ I missed that step!

My resolution? superwash only. I solemnly vow. (grin)

So leaping forward to today, and in keeping with my Bloomin' Feet tradition of not unveiling everything all at once - We now have a peek at the sock I'm making for Toasty Toes.

Thanks for all the wonderful input on choosing this yarn. I decided to go with the Fleece Aritist in colorway Ivory. It won by a landslide.

16 Comments:

At August 5, 2006 at 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful Toadty Toes Sock - looks like a great heel.

 
At August 5, 2006 at 9:07 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, SO SAD about your Olympic socks...

 
At August 5, 2006 at 9:22 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I would still donate them. They'll fit someone...even a kid. They're too pretty to throw away.

Your toasty toes look very pretty...yet mysterious. :)

 
At August 6, 2006 at 4:54 AM, Blogger Julie said...

You could take a pair of scissors to em and make some lovely coasters or bookmarks or summat. That's happened with a few of my sockies as well so I waited until I had several pairs of the handwash before I started wearing them and now I'm used to putting them in the little baggie for safe dryerless washing :) Although I will say, I also favor superwash as my main sock yarn now.

 
At August 6, 2006 at 5:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

They're your first socks, so you can't ditch them! I vote for finding them a home, even if you fling them into the charity bin!

 
At August 6, 2006 at 6:48 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Oh, that's a shame! Maybe you can make ipod or digital camera "socks" out of them.

Lovely new socks!

 
At August 6, 2006 at 8:54 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Don't toss 'em - have a drawing on the blog for a child!@

 
At August 6, 2006 at 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love ivory socks. I think it's because ivory really showcases stitch patterns.

 
At August 6, 2006 at 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, I am in love with the ivory. And the sock looks very intriguing. So sad about your Olympic socks. I will take that as a warning to be very very careful.

 
At August 7, 2006 at 5:55 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Looks interesting so far....too bad about the other socks...I'm a superwash fan also...

 
At August 7, 2006 at 11:58 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Major bummer about those lovely purple socks. I'd want to cry. The Fleece Artist sock is looking wonderful so far.

 
At August 7, 2006 at 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooooo sad! But you can't trash 'em -- if nothing else, hang them on the wall, they're your first socks, after all!

 
At August 7, 2006 at 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a shame about shrinking your socks. You could fill them with lavender and stick 'em in you sock drawer:-)

 
At August 8, 2006 at 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no on the Olympic socks!

The Toasty Toes yarn is gorgeous.

[I have a post and email to you coming up once I finish plying my great balls of fire roving up... it is one of the best prepared fibers I have ever received (and it sure doesn't feel like superwash). LOVE IT. ]

 
At August 8, 2006 at 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a shame about your socks! I, too, try to stick with superwash only, but I do end up making exceptions for those really special hand wash only yarns.

 
At August 8, 2006 at 8:09 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Oh noooooo. Don't throw them in the trash! They'd fit my daughter!

I love the ivory socks - I am making a pair of socks in the Canada pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks and switched the dark green main color for ivory. Oh it's such an elegant color for hand knit socks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home