the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Sunday, October 1, 2006

Quark!

Quark ~.... kerle, kerle, kerle ~ ...Mensch ! You know, I swear that I'd lose my heard if it weren't attached... I meant to post pictures of my stash enhancements yesterday.. but I forgot.

Yet first - let me explain the unusual beginning of the post; When I first was dating K in 2001, I focused on learning to speak some German. If any of you have spoken to him on the telephone, you'll have heard his wonderful accent (being from Germany and all).
Anyway... I am fairly good at languages, and so I began to repeat some of his favorite expressions:
Quark.........
Kerle, kerle, kerle........
Mensch......

Mostly these sayings were used when he was frustrated with something, or a tad bit ticked off shall we say? I assumed that he was cussin' in German..... I thought that I was doing fairly well, yet whenever I'd speak them, K would burst into hilarious bouts of laughter. (and still does to this day)
Finally I figured out why ( see the end of the post for an explanation and translation of these words.)

Without further ado - here's the stash enhancement from the weekend:

Gorgeous deep golden Wenslydale, raised and hand dyed by our friends Linda and Lois who own The Bellwether Wool Company. Hop on over to their site and say hi - they are fabulous folks, and have a great product!
Sorry about the ripped label - and the messy skein. It looked alot prettier when I first bought it. Who would have known that black cats love the smell of this fiber? I set it down in the RV, and left to load more stuff; when I returned with the next load, this lovely fiber was ripped to bits, and strewn from one end of the RV to the other. sigh. good thing it wasn't yet yarn! kerle, kerle, kerle!!


Beside this loveliness, you will see yet another brand of rosewood dpn's. I got these from Morgaine at Carolina Homespun. She thinks that they'll work a bit better for me, since they are only 5" long. fingers crossed, I try yet again :-)


And then as I was getting ready to leave, Lisa Milliman (of Dicentra Designs fame) stopped by with this gift! woo hoo ! It is about 2 ounces each of her new superwash hand dyed roving! What a sweetie! I can't wait to spin it up and test knit a sock with it. (notice the lurking kitty paws... look out kiddo - Mensch!)

Check out our website, and you'll see that we are offering an introductory special on this fiber. (as well as other new fiber and some close out sales on yarn)






And yes, there was a bit of knitting going on over the weekend - here's the sock I finished from Twist and Shout. (notice the single context of that word... yes, only one so far.. in fact, I confess, there is only one so far of all the Sock Hop socks I've knit up...) quark!






last but not least, a major gift to K (the birthday boy) was some hand made Porter beer - think rich and dark, and our friend Will even printed up custom labels for K. umm, gee... do you think he likes it? YUP!
thanks so much Will and Cheryl for this wonderful beer. You guys are amazing!






So now, for the conclusion of the lost-in-translation German words. As you recall, at the beginning of all this, I thought I was swearing up a storm. no such thing! Here is the closest translation K can make....
quark... sour cream (sort of, but it's also sort of yogurt)
Kerle ... adolescent boy
Mensch... human

So sour cream to everyone! hah!

12 Comments:

At October 1, 2006 at 6:25 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

I LOVE my rosewood needles. My Caribbean Jays and Autumn Sunset Socks were/are knit on them. The length (5½") is perfect and the warm feel - heaven.

And roving stuff?! Is the entire blogosphere trying to seduce me to the spinning dark side?

 
At October 1, 2006 at 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a hoot! Cuss away Teyani!!

Love the new fiber offerings, btw. Martha and I are making great headway through my fiber stash, so I'll be stopping by CMF soon!!

 
At October 1, 2006 at 7:20 PM, Blogger Chris said...

LOL - that's some pretty fierce cussin'!

Black cats are devious, aren't they??? Glad they didn't drag away the needles to chew up or drink the beer.

 
At October 1, 2006 at 11:03 PM, Blogger Sachi said...

You know, the first thing I learned to say was, indeed, all the swear words. People would ask me to run through my dirty word vocabulary and they would end up blushing from the sailor-like stuff that would spew forth. *grin*

It was great to meet you at OFFF too. I'm glad Chris made the suggestion. But, whatever she told you, it's lies! All lies, I tell you! ;-)

Post with pics is up. Wander over and take a looksy.

 
At October 2, 2006 at 6:49 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Gorgeous stash additions! I can't knit with 5" needles...they hurt my hands.

I hope K at least taught you some good German swear words to take the place of the ones you were using. lol

 
At October 2, 2006 at 7:48 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Beautiful roving and needles! Can't wait to see it spun up!

The sock is so pretty - the blue varigation is great!

 
At October 2, 2006 at 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a gorgeous bunch of roving! I have got to get me a spinning wheel. I'm hoping Santa will be nice and bring me one this year. I can't wait to see what you spin up!

 
At October 3, 2006 at 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yiddish and German are very close to eachother - in Yiddish Mensch is someone who behaves extra well. Sort of like saying someone is an angel.

 
At October 3, 2006 at 1:04 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Too funny! I used to work in a health food store and had heard of/ sold/ and eaten Quark and I didn't make the connection until the end! Thanks for the laugh and nice stash enhancement!
I wish that I could clone my cat for her ability to leave yarn and fiber alone. She would watch me wind bobbins and knit , warp the loom and spin and never never never attack! Even when the yarn was flashing furiously.

 
At October 4, 2006 at 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I should mention that Lantern Moon will replace your broken needles. They are great about it. Didn't know until it happened to me.

 
At October 16, 2006 at 7:47 AM, Blogger Glenna C said...

gorgeous roving! If only I were a spinner - but not yet, not yet... ;)

 
At October 16, 2006 at 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the laughs! I guess your K is a Swabian (? don't know, if this is the correct english word), because they are the only one I've ever heard saying "Kerle".
Greetings from Germany
Andrea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home