the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Getting ready

We're in the process of getting ready for our first show of the season; Madrona Fiber Arts. It is a fun show. For any of you who live in the Seattle area, please come by and see us. This show is held in Tacoma, and is definately worth attending.
One of the things I love about this show is the amazing classes - and I'm taking 5 of them this year (yes, perhaps I've gone a little around the bend, but we knew that anyway - right?) Klaus will be manning the booth, and I'll be off playing. Now doesn't that sound like a fabulous gift from him to me!
Here's the lineup of what I'm taking:

Lapland Hand Garments: The Mittens of Rovaniemi - by Susanna Hansson
This class suggests that we bring our patience, for it involves knitting mittens with 11 balls of yarn!

Morphing Cables by Fiona Ellis
I'm excited to meet her in person!

Modular Knitting by Ginger Luters
I have a couple of ideas about what I will do with this technique - but that's a surprise for the future.

Color Progression in Plying by Judith MacKenzie McCuin
I've taken spinning classes with Judith before, and they are without a doubt the absolute best. I would pretty much take any class that she's teaching. If you ever have the opportunity to take a class with her, just do it!

Two Colors, Two Hands by Sally Melville
I just bought myself the new Alice Starmore book and there are at least 4 sweaters in it that I want to knit. I'm hoping to learn an easier way to manage two colors at once while I'm in this class.

I've got all my supplies together, and done all my homework. I'm set (I think).. perhaps all except for the part where the "Mittens of Rovaniemi" calls for "expert" knitting ability ! I will be sure to bring along my humor.

We're taking along some wonderful new products to this show - many new fiber blends, and several items that have been hand made by local artists. For example... I was gifted with this cool handmade wristaff at Christmas time from my friend Beki (sadly blogless).
What's a wristaff, you ask?



It is a spinning tool used by drop spindlers. It hangs from your wrist, and holds the fiber out of your way when you spin on a drop spindle.
This particular one is very clever. Beki has made a bracelet of silver and spectacular glass beads, and then hand felted the bottom part that holds the fiber. like this.. see?






Now here's the cool part: the bracelet is detachable! So not only do you have a marvelous tool, you have a lovely piece of jewlery as well.
Beki makes these in sterling silver, brass and copper. The silver one sells for $35 and the brass and copper ones sell for $25. I'd be delighted to take orders if any of you would like one - just give me a shout at:
teyani AT crownmountainfarms DOT com







On the knitting front, after my epic shawl project (which I will be proudly wearing at the fair) I have been finishing up my sock "mates" from all the single socks I made last year out of the Sock Hop Yarn. (and yes, I'll be wearing all of those as well- cozy toes!) Two pairs complete, and a third 'second sock' is on the needles.
See you in a week or so! Tally ho!

16 Comments:

At January 20, 2007 at 11:07 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Have a great time!

 
At January 20, 2007 at 11:13 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Looking great there on the lonely socks reduction. Have fun at the festival. Stay warm.

 
At January 20, 2007 at 12:31 PM, Blogger Dave said...

All those courses sound wonderful. But 11 colours! Whoa. Looking forward to seeing what you create with all this "new knowledge"!

 
At January 20, 2007 at 1:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have a great time Teyani!

 
At January 20, 2007 at 3:21 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Hi Teyani- now that Mom is back in NY, I can catch up on reading all my favorite blogs!!

It sounds like the fiber fest is going to be grand! Fun classes - and wow - Klaus is a keeper!

Your socks all became pairs ever so beeeeeeyoutifully. They look grand. And the shawl is a stunner. Nice Nupps :-)

Stay warm-

 
At January 20, 2007 at 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing, as usual, that I could be there too!

The wristaff is too cute, and the socks are just divine!

Have fun at the festival!

 
At January 20, 2007 at 8:14 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Looking forward to seeing you at Madrona. I'll be in Judith's class with you. I can't wait to hear about Susanna's class. I'm hoping she'll teach it somewhere in Seattle again soon so I can take it.

 
At January 21, 2007 at 4:45 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Wriststaff is very cool. And nice looking socks. Congratulations! And Have fun!

 
At January 21, 2007 at 12:48 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Have fun!! Love that last sock picture!

 
At January 21, 2007 at 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like your taking some great classes! I took a workshop with Judith and I learned alot she's a fascinating women. Have a great time!

 
At January 21, 2007 at 4:15 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Boyle said...

See you at the Fiona Ellis class. I can't wait to meet her as well. This is my first time to Madrona so I am really looking forward to it.

 
At January 21, 2007 at 6:16 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Wow, such a neat line up you have going! I'm wish I could just take one ;-) Hope you have a lovely time.

Neat gadget!

 
At January 22, 2007 at 7:21 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

all of those classes sound amazing! can't wait to hear your reviews and projects from them...mittens with how many balls of yarn????? bring the ziplocs!

 
At January 22, 2007 at 7:39 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Have a wonderful time Teyani! All the classes sounds wonderful. Well the mitten class with 11 balls of yarn sounds a bit daunting. I would love to take a class with Judith! Someday...

 
At January 22, 2007 at 9:49 AM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Love that wristaff.

You've signed up for a brain explosion weekend! So many informative classes. Wish I could be there.

Hope it's a great festival for you!

 
At January 27, 2007 at 8:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your wish is my command, here I am commenting... I'm so glad I got to meet you today! Thank you so much for the advise about wheel shopping, I'm more motivated than ever to get one. But until then I'll content myself with the turkish spindle and the angora/merino blend I bought from Michele. :-)

~the Eggplant Redhead~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home