the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Friday, October 6, 2006

Socktoberfest !

I'm a little behind this week in my posts... but am finally getting around to answering Lolly's questions for this month's Socktoberfest.

*When did you start making socks? did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
My very first socks were knit back in fall of 2001. not a pretty sight -they were big and floppy (no photos to show) - knit with a worsted weight yarn. I gave them to my daughter who loves to lounge around in them. I was first taught by the elderly German woman who also gave me spinning lessons. She did not use a pattern, but rather told us what to do as we went along.
My sock knitting stopped copmpletely with this pair, and I didn't try again until thanksgiving 2005. The second time around, I picked up some of the wonderful Dicentra Designs yarn and came up with this amazing pair. I love the smaller yarn - and the actual fit of the sock.
Finally, I took a class last February from Charlene Schurch - and I was definately hooked. Let me tell you, she's wonderful in person !

*What was your first pair? How have they held up over time?
That original pair was such a disaster - but the actual second pair (shown above) has been amazing. durable, soft, cozy. I wear them all the time.

*What would you have done differently?
With my initial pair: Used a better quality yarn ~ and a pattern :-)

*What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Fleece Artist, STR, Lorna's Laces semi solid, Dicentra Designs and Sock Hop (of course!)


*Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on Dpn's, 2 circulars, or using the magic loop method?
I am totally a 4 dpn kind of gal. One pattern (that I really love) called for 5 dpns.. it was a little tricky with all those teensy points, but it worked in the end. My preference is definately only 4 dpns.

*Which kind of heel do you prefer? flap, short row?
I'm a top-down-flapper-girl.

*How many pairs have you made?
Now this is the "true confessions" question - if there ever was one! I have "completed" 5 pairs of socks - of which only 1 pair was for me...... yet, that being siad, I have also knit all of these :-) and I have 4 in partial completion on the needles as we speak. My goal for this winter is to make all the matching feet for these Sock Hop socks - then I'll have warm toes for the winter. It's just hard to resist trying out a new colorway once I have it spun. hah!

8 Comments:

At October 6, 2006 at 9:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

And I thought I had it bad, with *only* 4 half-finished pairs in the workbasket! Lovely socksline, though!

 
At October 6, 2006 at 9:31 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

That is a lot of socks! Hopefully some will find mates soon.. :)

 
At October 6, 2006 at 9:37 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Those are some beautiful, and lonesome, sock singles. I hope you can knit them all a mate!

 
At October 6, 2006 at 11:21 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Great job on the sock singles. I'm sure you'll mate them up this winter.

 
At October 6, 2006 at 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so funny! But imagine how great it will be when you have a mate to all those orphans!

 
At October 6, 2006 at 12:44 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Gorgeous sock singles!! Are you entering Jane's contest at Quiddity with those? :)

 
At October 6, 2006 at 5:06 PM, Blogger KarenK said...

That's the number one reason that I learned to knit two socks at the same time! I was such a single-sock person up until then.

 
At October 8, 2006 at 2:56 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Who made the rule that a pair of socks have to be the same colour and pattern? Same weight, I can understand. If you don't get all the mates knit up, you can always have a mix and match day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home